The Catholic church from Poiana Micului, Romania is the the first church in the world dedicated to Pope John Paul II and Blessed by one of the most influential voices in the Vatican, cardinal Dziwisz.
The village is located in Manastirea Humorului commune, Suceava county. It is inhabited by Romanians and Poles.
Was founded by priest Gabriel Bucur. The church was completely built within two months. It was dedicated to Pope John Paul II. On May 21st 2011, the church was declared Blessed by the private secretary of the Pope, cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz.
A Stone Carved Memorial to Pope John Paul ii
For the last two years, Bolek Maierik has been hand carving a memorial to pope on two large silica cemented sandstone blocks in the churchyard. The blocks were brought from a quarry in Vama, a commune located in Suceava county. They are very durable and hard, measuring 459 x 393 ft (140 x 120 m).
He accepted the challenge with enthuziasm.
For this task, he selected a hand point chisel, a big head chisel and a hammer. The stone block laid on top depicts important events in the pope’s life:
- The earliest life of pope on the north side;
- The image of the pope ordained as a priest on the east side (1 nov 1946);
- The west side illustrates pope as a bishop (1958);
- The south side shows his portrait as a pope.
The second block marks the meeting from Bucharest (may 1999) between Patriarch Teoctist and Pope John Paul II.
The three bishops who blessed the church: Petru Gherghel, Stanislaw Dziwisz and Aurel Perca:
The coat of arms of the Vatican is carved on the south side of the block. The cross, off-centered to the upper left, with a capital M in the lower right corner, can be read as TM.